Release Date: MONDAY, 6/21/2021
If you’ve ever been to Modena, Italy, you’ll feel a certain exhilaration in the air that says “Italian sports cars!” In 1959, Alejandro De Tomaso founded De Tomaso Automobili in Modena. Maybe it’s something in the water?
By the late ’60s, De Tomaso had introduced the Mangusta – their first car produced in mass quantities (a total of 401). The popular legend about how it got its name is that De Tomaso was working on a car with Carroll Shelby to replace the Shelby Cobra, but Shelby was pulled onto Ford’s GT40 project. Mangusta translates into mongoose in English, a creature known to kill snakes – especially cobras! Despite all that, a Ford engine was mounted in the Mangusta.
The 1971 De Tomaso Mangusta represents the last year they produced the model. Among the most eye-catching sports cars of all time, it just had to become a Hot Wheels casting. We introduce our version here.
Not only is this the first release of the casting, but it’s the first time we’ve released a casting with opening gull-wing covers for a rear-mounted engine! You’ll find new, thicker tires on the rear pair of our Real Riders racing wheels for this edition. Also note the fine detailing on the interior, the engine, and the chassis. Carefully perched under an acrylic case, this rare classic can now become a part of your collection!Specifications:
- Features: Opening gull-wing engine covers
- Body Color: Spectraflame bright orange
- Body Type: ZAMAC
- Wheels: Real Riders racing wheels
- Base: Full-metal, Spectraflame bright orange-painted chassis with painted details
- Window Color: Light smoke-tinted
- Interior Color: Black interior with painted details; chrome-plated engine with painted details
- Packaged in an acrylic case within a sturdy box
- Each vehicle features an individually numbered sticker (xxx/20,000)
- Priced at $29.99 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
- We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
- Refunds only, no exchanges
Production car may vary from the photo shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, and wheel type. Product subject to availability.